Here are a few ideas and techniques that archivists and museum workers use to clean, care for and preserve the items in their custody. Some of these tips may be of assistance to you in ensuring the long term care of your own materials. We hope that you find these measures and websites helpful.
Please note that if there is a rare or delicate item that requires any kind of treatment, it is always best to have a professional conservator do the work.
- The Role of Your Local Museum and Archives in Preservation
- Preserving Your Photographs
- Preserving Textiles and Clothing
- Preserving Paper Records
- Preserving Paintings
- Preserving Newspapers
- Preserving Glass and Ceramics
- Preserving Furniture
- Preserving Books
- Preserving Your Motion Film and Video Tapes
- Online Preservation Resources