This pulpit, part of a set that includes a chair, was made for the Knox Presbyterian Church in Lion’s Head, who opened their doors in 1881. The church later became the Lion’s Head United Church, and they used the chair and pulpit for the last time April 18, 1962. Both chair and pulpit are credited as being made by Lion’s Head resident Washington B. Moshier ca. 1885. Moshier came from Wellington County to Lion’s Head in the late 1870s and set up a business as a cabinet maker.
Another pulpit, from the Armow Methodist Church can be found within the Museum’s collection. The pulpit was made in the 1870s by Samuel Avery. Samuel was born in England in 1842, and immigrated to Canada with his father and settled in the Exeter area where he apprenticed as a wagon maker. The family moved to Bruce County in the 1860s and settled just outside of Armow, where Samuel began his trade as wagon maker. Samuel was very active within the community and served as Deputy-Reeve in 1887-1888, and as a member of Bruce County Council in 1888. When the new Armow Methodist Church opened in 1898, he, along with Leonard Shewfelt, laid the cornerstone.