- actively seeks partnerships in achieving our mission
- practices effective communication
- promotes fun and accessibility
- actively seeks and recognizes the contributions of our supporters
- is accountable and demonstrates best professional practice in all operations and relationships
- takes a client centered and interactive approach in our programs in a friendly and welcoming environment
- believes in the importance of staff development in its efforts to be an effective resource to the community and a leader in the province
- promotes the depth and diversity of our heritage
- offers many activities that encourage meaningful reflection on the past in order to better understand the present and thus plan for the future
- promotes the value of its collection and archives as a prime resource for research at all levels of learning
In 1955, the idea of a museum was suggested by Mrs. W.G. McKenzie of Lucknow. From her suggestion the Bruce County Museum was born.
A museum committee, strongly supported by the various branches of the Women’s Institute, and headed by Dr. J.F. Morton, consisted of people from all parts of Bruce County. The committee worked hard to secure the old public school in Southampton to house the artifacts of the new museum. With overwhelming support from all over Bruce County, the new museum was flooded with donated articles.
There have been several additions to the museum over the years. In 1958, the settlers’ cabin from Kinloss Township was added. In 1967, the old log school from Amabel Township found its home here.
With government support in 1972, the museum began the addition of a new wing that included an exhibition hall, archives and offices.
In 1976, the new wing was opened and became known as the Krug Wing. With support from individuals like the Krug Brothers of Chesley and many others, the museum was able to continue the preservation of Bruce County
In 1979, the museum evolved from seasonal to year-round operation, and opened its public archives, which held an impressive collection of Bruce County genealogical records, county newspapers, photographs, and municipal documents.
Eventually it was determined from several studies that:
- The former facility could not safely store or display the collection in accordance with acceptable museum practices.
- The facility was structurally deficient and did not conform to building, safety or accessibility codes.
- The building has not kept pace with the needs and demands of the collection, the public, programming initiatives and opportunities.
- In order to meet current and future needs, dramatic improvements were required.
Formal approval to proceed with the new building project occurred on February 7, 2002, and construction began in the fall of 2003. It was completed and re-opened to the public in 2005.